Cannabidiol, also known as CBD, is the chemical compound made from cannabis plants. The plant is also known as hemp or marijuana. Using CBD in forms such as Cannabidiol oil can offer more benefits with fewer risks than using medical marijuana.
It does not affect the mind as it does not contain the compound from cannabis called tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC for short, which creates the high.
CBD is a treatment that looks appealing for a pain disorder like fibromyalgia for the following reasons:
- CBD is said to take a part in activating serotonin receptors
- This can help with pain perception as it affects the brain and can interrupt the nerve pathways that send the signals for pain between the brain and the body
- It helps maintain body temperature
- It can reduce inflammation
- Also known to help symptoms of depression
- Can maybe prevent symptoms of psychosis
These health issues that CBD addresses are useful because fibromyalgia is a disorder known for widespread musculoskeletal pain that can also bring fatigue, insomnia, memory and mood issues. Researchers believe that by influencing the way your brain processes pain signals, fibromyalgia amplifies unpleasant sensations. There is no known cure for this, but treatment options like CBD can help with managing the pain.
CBD is a good option for Fibromyalgia as it is not addictive unlike other opioid prescriptions. Studies are still going and the only Food and Drug Administration-approved prescription drug using CBD is for epilepsy treatment called Epidiolex. Although, there are studies done to show cannabis users with fibromyalgia have experienced reduced pain and stiffness with an increase in sleepiness.
You can consume CBD in several ways, including:
- Smoking or vaping it can relieve immediate pain, as it is the quickest way to reduce symptoms and can last up to 3 hours
- Cooking it with an edible food or fusing it with oil is another option that will make it last up to 6 hours but will take longer to be in effect
- Applying yourself topically or orally with an oil extract
- Making the CBD oil into a cream can help reduce inflammation and help with external pain
A good example of variety of products that CBD can make can be found at https://www.matrixcbdoil.com. Over there you have it in liquid form that is great for vaping. Vaping CBD can help patients feel relief immediately as it sets in quickly. You can also get it orally with the variety of yummy gummy bears. There are many flavors to try out for all the different fibromyalgia patients out there.
Using CBD and TCH together seems to work the best for fibromyalgia patients, as they have a synergy. CBD can help negate the effects of marijuana that THC would give. More studies need to be done, but it is hard because every Fibromyalgia patient is different. Combining CBD with medication and other lifestyle remedies is one type of treatment. It is always good to experiment to find what works best for you.